Selected Technical Publications
- DOE 2014 Solid-State Lighting Manufacturing R&D Workshop Presentations and Materials, W. Dennis Slafer, Developing Enhanced Substrates for OLED SSL
- Slafer, D.W. (2013). Techniques for Roll-to-Roll Manufacturing of Flexible Rectenna Solar Cells. In G. Moddel & S. Grover, Rectenna Solar Cells (chapter 16). New York, United States of America: Springer Science+Business Media.
J. Bhattacharya, N. Chakravarty, S. Pattnaik, W.D. Slafer, R. Biswas and V.L. Dalal, Comparison of optical properties of periodic photonic–plasmonic and randomly textured back reflectors for nc-Si solar cells
Light trapping is essential to harvest long-wavelength red and near-infrared photons in thin film silicon solar cells. Light trapping in p-i-n thin film cells is commonly achieved with back-reflectors, and in n-i-p cells with textured front transparent conductors. We systematically compare the optical properties and performance of randomly roughened back reflectors with periodic plasmonic-photonic back-reflectors in p-i-n solar cells. The randomly textured back reflectors were prepared to have very high diffuse reflectance comparable to the state of the art. The periodic back reflectors of tapered nano-pillars/bumps show enhanced quantum efficiency and optical absorption over randomly structured back reflectors using the same solar cell architecture in nc-Si solar cells. The strong diffraction and light concentration in periodic back reflectors may be more beneficial than the light scattering offered by randomly textured back reflectors.Journal of Non-Crystalline Solids 09/2012; 358(17):2313–2318. DOI:10.1016/j.jnoncrysol.2011.12.108 · 1.77 Impact Factor
- J. Bhattacharya, N. Chakravarty, S. Pattnaik, W.D. Slafer, R. Biswas and V.L. Dalal, “A Photonic-Plasmonic Structure For Enhancing Light Absorption In Thin Film Solar Cells”, Appl Phys Lett 99, 131114 (2011).
- S. Pattnaik, N. Chakravarty, J. Bhattacharya, W. D. Slafer, R. Biswas and V. L. Dalal, “Thin Film Si Photovoltaic Devices on Photonic Structures Fabricated on Steel and Polymer Substrates.” (to be published in 2011 MRS Conference Proceedings, Symp. A, 2011).
- Nayan Chakravarty, Sambit Pattnaik, Rana Biswas, J. Bhattacharya, W. D. Slafer and Vikram L. Dalal, “Superlattice Solar cells on Nanoimprinted Photo-Plasmon Substrates” (to be published in Proc. of IEEE Photovolt. Specialists Conf., 2011).
- S. Pattnaik, V. Dalal, W. D. Slafer and Jin Ji, ”Amorphous Si solar cells on Photonic Substrates Fabricated in PEN”, Proc. of IEEE Photovolt. Specialists Conference, 2010.
- D. Kotter, D. Slafer, S. Novack, & P. Pinhero, "Theory and Manufacturing Processes of Solar NanoAntenna Electromagnetic Collectors," Journal of Solar Energy Engineering, 132 (1), 011014-1 (2010).
- D. Kotter, D. Slafer, S. Novack, & P. Pinhero "Solar Nantenna Electromagnetic Collectors," invited paper presented at 2008 ASME Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Energy Sustainability, held August 10-14, 2008, Jacksonville, Florida, USA.
- W.D. Slafer, V. Kreismanis, R.F. Praino "Roll-to-Roll Patterning of Metallic Layers," paper presented at FlexTech Alliance Flexible Electronics & Displays Conference, held Feb 2-6, 2009 (Phoenix, AZ).
- W.D. Slafer & R.F. Praino "Progress in Roll-to-Roll Patterning of Transparent & Metallic Conductors," invited paper presented at USDC's Flexible Electronics & Displays Conference, held January 21-24, 2008 in Phoenix, Arizona
- S. Novack, D. Kotter, P. Pinhero, D. Slafer, J. Ryskamp "NanoAntenna Electromagnetic Collectors (NECs)," invited paper presented at NASA Tech Briefs' 2007 National Nano Engineering Conference (NNEC), held November 14-15, 2007 in Boston, MA
- R.F. Praino & W.D. Slafer "Techniques for Patterning Conductive Layers," invited paper presented at 2006 AIMCAL Fall Technical Conference, held October 22-25, 2006 in Reno, Nevada
- W. Folks, S. Pandey, G. Pribil, D. Slafer, M. Manning, and G. Boreman, "Reflective infrared ellipsometry of plastic films," International Journal of Infrared and Millimeter Waves, vol. 27, pp. 1553-1571, 2006.
- B. Sachin, A. Kar, "Thin film deposition on plastic substrates using silicon nanoparticles and laser nanoforming," Materials Science and Engineering: B, Vol. 130, Is. 1-3, pp 228-236, 15 June 2006
- W.D. Slafer & R.F. Praino "Novel Roll-to-Roll Manufacturing Techniques for Patterning Conductive Layers," invited paper presented at USDC’s Flexible Electronics & Displays Conference, held Feb. 7-9, 2006, in Phoenix, Arizona
Copyright © 2008-2017 Microcontinuum, Inc.